Friday, April 25, 2008

Thing #16 - Learn About Wikis

The video from Common Craft gave a simple explanation about wikis and I thought how useful it would be for us to use a wiki in the organization of staff parties at our branch or maybe organizing Staff Development Day. When I checked out the Public Libraries on the Blogging Libraries Wiki, I brought up the Birmingham Public Library's Latest News, Reviews & Info wiki and was impressed. One of their posts was for "Tech Tuesdays" for a "look at the technologies sweeping the Internet and see if you need to join the crowd!" I just had to add a comment on that post. I explained who I was and the challenge we were doing here at the Ocean County Library in New Jersey. I provided them with a link to plcmclearning 2.o and suggested that their staff may be interested in doing the challenge and how it is a great team building experience. I also gave them our Ocean County Library home page address. I am eagerly waiting to see if they respond! This is all brand new to me. I can't believe that I actually posted a comment on their page.
I visited Ocean County Library's article on Wikipedia and noticed that the "Awards" section needed to be updated to include our National Medal for Museum & Library Service award that we received.
As far as relying on the information on Wikipedia, I would be hesitant to trust everything that I read knowing that people can just change the information and that info may not be correct.

No comments: